Jul 3 2009

Transformation

For my birthday, one of my friends gave me a men’s XL t-shirt. She said that she learned to sew by making alterations on garments like large men’s shirts, creating new pieces and experimenting with techniques and styles. So, because she’s very thoughtful, she gave me a shirt so that I could do the same. Personal, yet practical. Awesome.

The pictures above show what I created out of the t-shirt. It’s a boat neck tank top, and it fits really well. The arm holes fit much better than in the previous shirts I’ve made, and the length is perfect.

I may have cheated a little on the concept of altering a t-shirt to make something else, because I really just used the t-shirt as fabric. Regardless, I’m happy with the final product.


Apr 22 2009

Another Shirt

I want to retain what I learned from my first shirt-making experience, and I think the best way to do that is to apply the knowledge to a second shirt. This one is similar to the first, with a few significant differences. I used the same pattern for both garments, but this time around I altered it slightly. As you can probably tell from the images, I chose to go with a high-neck halter top instead of a v-neck. I’m also going to use elastic in the waist band and along the top back seam. Instead of sewing the neck band together, I’m going to attach snaps.

More pictures and details to come after it’s finished!


Apr 20 2009

Finished Shirt Gallery

Voila! Here it is, the finished product. It’s too tight in the underarm area for me to wear comfortably, but it could definitely be used in a shirt-like fashion by someone with smaller arms and shoulders.

The seams are a little rough, but I think it’s pretty good for my first attempt. The hardest parts were definitely the underarm bands and the neck band. I did learn a lot from the process of trying to interpret certain unclear (to me) parts of the directions that came with the pattern, and I feel like that experience will help my next shirt to be much more polished and wearable.

The gathering seams were also a little hard to figure out, and you may be able to tell from the images that they are not distributed around the neckline as evenly as they should be. I think that should be easy to correct in my next attempt, though.


Apr 20 2009

Shirt

I haven’t posted in a few days because I’ve been working hard on a new sewing project: Making my first shirt from a pattern!

It’s pretty exciting, but also challenging and a little confusing at times. It’s almost finished, and I’m kind of addicted to it right now, so I’ll post more detail about the project after it’s completed. Until then, here are some images from the construction process: