Second Skirt

I’m pretty pleased with how this one turned out. I started it while the first skirt was still in progress, so that I could practice and remember the techniques Diana was teaching me in class. Obviously, this one has a decorative band around the bottom, whereas the first skirt was all one material.

My first attempt at constructing the band was aesthetically unsuccessful. I hadn’t laid out how I was going to attach the band to the skirt, and neglected to go over all the options to determine which would make the most sense. Instead, I just sort of went for it.

The result was an ill-fitting band, poorly sewn and way too bulky. I’m embarrassed to admit that I’d constructed a rolled hem on the black-and-white fabric and then sewn the black fabric over it. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but it quickly became apparent that it was actually a very amateur idea.

I took the skirt in to Diana on the day of my last class, and she patiently illustrated the best way to attach the band. I took her advice, and the finished product is a hundred times better than my previous attempt. I’m really proud of this one, and although it’s a little big, it looks pretty cool.


Leave a Reply